Thursday, July 4, 2013

Apostles Today?

QUESTION RECEIVED:

 Why do some men called themselves "Apostles" and not pastors? is that even biblical? Thank you!

MY ANSWER:

Apostle can mean messenger.
It is an office of the early church.
It is an office I belive can only be held by Christians called by Christ in the early church.

1 Corinthians 9:1 New King James Version (NKJV)
Apostles saw and were trained personally by Jesus. The Apostle Paul wrote-
9 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

Jesus sent the Apostles.
John 20:21
21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”

Apostles received personal instruction from Christ.
Galatians 1:11-12
11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

The prophets of the Old Testament and Apostles of the New Testament gave –from the direct revelation of God- instruction that was infallible and built Christ’s church.
Ephesians 2:19-20
19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,

My personal advise is to flee from any church or expel any man who think he is equal or dispenses any new knowledge about Christ or Scripture.

No man today can fit the description of an Apostle.

No comments:

Post a Comment