Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Question about Deep Frying A Pastor On Thanksgiving Week


QUESTION RECEIVED: (Not from Hall County)
I am a member of a small Baptist church in rural america. 
I am so distraught over our pastor. 
He changes our Sunday night services to be gone or schedules us to meet with other churches, even Methodists.
Sometimes we do not meet on Sunday nights or Wednesdays because he has some side business deal. 
Our small; church is very low in numbers and we need our pews filled up, but I just can not understand how closing our doors and sitting in another church pew is helping us grow. 
Not to mention, we pay this preacher to preach behind our pulpit to the sum of over 100 dollars and hour. 
 I told him yesterday that if I wanted to attend a Methodist church, I would have been in a Methodist church. I am a Baptist by choice and for a reason.
What can we do to get our pastor to do right?


MY ANSWER:

In answering your question I am taken back to two churches I pastored in rural communities.
Why I do not pastor these churches now?
I broke my neck serving these churches and about went bankrupt.
A man of God is called to fulfill his calling.
Receiving $200 bucks a week and grumbling from those he serves will make him
look to see if he can get support elsewhere.
Typical problems-
Some folks wanted Sunday night services, some did not.
Some wanted to have singings with other churches, some did not.
Some wanted Wednesday nights, some did not.
I visited every home and church and subdivision and trailer park near our church.
Many new folks came- tattooed up, living together and single moms.
We did not get the young married couples with a Suburban full of well-scrubbed kids.
The leadership anywhere always says they will do whatever it takes to grow.
By grow I mean share the gospel and get changed folks.

When I got support I got fellow workers and our church grew spiritually and in attendance.
When I got on a limb by myself I got left flat, defeated and frustrated as a pastor.

Support the pastor.
Know the pastor.
Have him share his vision.
Get the folks to lead to vision.
Pray together.
Love each other.
Know you are all different.
Acknowledge growth causes pain and sacrifice.
Then join to discern what the Lord’s vision is.

When a family is fragmented it  pick apart at little stupid things like what the pastor is doing with his free time.

Draw near love each other.
The preacher might need to and or want to move on.
He might be the servant leader the Lord has prepared to lead your church for His glory.

1 Corinthians 12:12 New King James Version (NKJV)
"For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.”




No comments:

Post a Comment