In our Sunday night worship group called Redeeming Grace we have been studying what the church is - as described by what else? The Bible!
Here are some consistent terns usedin the New Testaments description of the church.
The Bible refers to the church in many ways like being a ........
- Body (The parts all contribute.)
- Family (The Word uses marriage language and gives roles like bride, daughter,son etc.)
- City (Heaven is a city. Paul writes we the church are citizens of Heaven-with benefits and duties.)
- Building (We are not a real building but a holy temple. We are also described as a field?)
- Kingdom (Guess who the King is?)
But what are we to do in this Body, Family, City,Building, Kingdom?
In Revelation 1:5b-6 Jesus Christ tells us what we do.
"...To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood - 6 and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen."
Join us on Sunday nights at 6 and find out how to join and serve as part of the this Body, Family, City, Building, Kingdom.
Here is the description for the New Testament church compiled by the Apologetics website C.A.R.M
What are some other names for the church?
- Bride of Christ, Rev. 19:7, "Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready.”
- Bride of the Lamb, Revelation 19:7, "“Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready.”
- Body of Christ, Ephesians 5:22-23, "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body."
- Church of the firstborn, Hebrews 12:23, " to the general assembly and church of the first-born who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of righteous men made perfect."
- Church of God, 1 Corinthians 1:2, "to the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours."
- Church of the Gentiles, Romans 16:4, "who for my life risked their own necks, to whom not only do I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles."
- City of the Living God, Hebrews 12:22, "But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels."
- Daughter of Zion, John 12:15, "Fear not, daughter of Zion; behold, your King is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt.”
- Flock of God, 1 Peter 5:2, "Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness."
- God's building, 1 Corinthians 3:9, "For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building."
- God's field, 1 Cor. 3:9, "For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building."
- Household of God, in Ephesians 2:19, "So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household,"
- Letter of Christ, 2 Cor. 3:3, "being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts."
- People of God, 1 Peter 2:10, "for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."
- Temple of God, 1 Corinthians 3:16, "Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?"
- Mount Zion, Hebrews 12:22, "But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels."