Wednesday, January 18, 2012

When Is It Time To Leave A Church

QUESTION RECEIVED:

I am trying to make a decision on leaving my church and joining another one. I don't feel like I belong at my church anymore and that I can't grow there because the members for the most part do not want to learn they are stuck on tradition. The only reason I still go is because I am the Sunday school teacher after that I leave and go to the church I am thinking about joining where
I feel like I get what I need in my spiritual growth. How do I ask God to help and show me what His will is for me? What Scriptures do I study. My church is currently without a Pastor. Thank you and thank God for you. I'm currently learning about false doctrines on your website.

MY ANSWER:

Jesus Christ has a relationship and mission for the church. Yes you know he cares for any churches individually and as the total body.


From Revelation Chapter 1:4-9 (NIV)

"John,

To the seven churches in the province of Asia:
Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

7 “Look, he is coming with the clouds,”
and “every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him”;
and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.”
So shall it be! Amen.
8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”

So what does this personal message from Jesus tell us? "To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever!"

So the church is about kingdom work in giving honor and glory in serving God. Jesus in the great commission in Matthew 28 :18-20 said " 18 Then Jesus came to them and said,“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
In kingdom work we are making disciples, baptizing believers, teaching Christ's work in salvation.

I do not see the biblical grounds that this is an apostate church from what you have said. In fact, from what you have written, they need your help in teaching the gospel.

What about when we are in a church that has lost it's gospel mission?

Every church is flawed. I believe most people join a church trusting their church will teach true Bible doctrine. Obviously all fail from small to a great degree. When the Bible is not regarded as truth and Jesus is not regarded as our only hope in Salvation, I can tell you then to flee.

In my experience with churches, once churches get worried with nonessential issues (Non-gospel related issues) they cannot balance that with an inerrant view of the Bible. Their are big differences in Christian churches, denominations and traditions. Baptism is a big issue in a church and you have to decide about, infant or believer's baptism by immersion tells a lot of what is believed about salvation. Can we have differences with others and all still be Christians? Yes. Again no church is perfect.

In my personal observations of individual churches and denominations, once wrong doctrinal is adopted and leadership adopts the wrong position, theological and biblical problems are almost impossible to correct. If you stay these big problems (The gospel, an inerrant view of Scripture, the exclusivity of Christ)   will not go away. Will you give in to these positions? Would compromising help you or that church? You do not need to be ugly about departing. You can be loving, but from Scripture, you can share your Biblical concerns.
Yes, your local church fellowship shapes you and you help shape it. If these violated biblical principles bother you, you need to find a church who you can follow and serve the Lord with out violating biblical principals.

The early church had splits but it was due to a passion to evangelize and the separation was profitable for the gospel. Their hearts were the same. In the book of Acts zeal for the gospel to spread is why believers separated.

I believe there are few reasons to switch churches like-
1. You have to move.
2. The church is apostate.
3. You are going for a new ministry as a layman or clergy.

Pray about this and read the book of Acts.
Do not let personal feelings be interpreted as the Lord speaking.










No comments:

Post a Comment