Monday, August 29, 2011

Dogs and Heaven?

As I have answered many questions from others about the Bible, now I am asking myself one.
What happens to dogs in the hereafter?
I have heard answers about questions on pets in Heaven from others.
I have heard the question answered. Some people say no animals are in heaven because they have no souls. Their reasons are based on the thought that animals do not have redeemable souls. But they have to have worth to the Creator. And no, I am not one who equates the worth of an animal with that of a human.
Heaven is a city as described in Hebrews 12:22. That is why Heaven should be capitalized. Heaven is a real city.
Hebrews 12:22 (ESV)
"22But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering,"

But there will also be a new Earth one day.
Revelation 21
" 1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more."

If there are no animals in The Kingdom what's Jesus Christ doing on a horse in Revelation 19:11?

Revelation 19:11(ESV) "11Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war."

We lost one of our family pets today. Spanky was a big strapping affectionate fawn Pug. We have surprised ourselves at how much he has meant to us.
I will not change my view on Biblical theology or Heaven and the future based on my feelings. The future of our beloved animals does not seem to be fully answered directly in Scripture.

I will console myself that the One who in the beginning was apart of all creation, including myself and our beloved dog, is in charge.
John 1:1-3 (ESV) "1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made."

Our Lord and Savior is known as "Faithful and True". And He likes animals.
I will trust He will care for our dog in the best way possible. I just do not know how.

2 comments:

  1. Transferred from FaceBook
    Likes
    Jerri E Sumrall, Gary Buffington, Mike Smith, Stacy Jackson McCune, Rebecca Healen Ruffner, Judy Davenport Sartain, John Pless

    Ashley N Kelly-Clark Maynor I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. (km)
    August 29 at 9:53pm · Unlike · 1 person

    Fletcher Law Thanks Kelly.
    August 29 at 9:58pm · Like

    Mike Taylor Sorry for your loss Fletcher.... we are dog lovers too!!! Praying lots of thanksgiving for your buddy!!!
    August 29 at 10:08pm · Like

    Helen Law Perry Sorry to hear about Spanky, Fletch.
    August 29 at 10:15pm · Unlike · 1 person

    Lewis Perry Spanky was a good one. Sorry Fletch.
    August 29 at 10:21pm · Unlike · 1 person

    Stacie Jackson McCune I am so sorry for your loss, Fletcher. I know that my limited knowledge of all things Biblical will be questioned here...however, I must believe that dogs go to heaven...because my 13 year old Golden has more of a soul than some humans I have encountered in my life. He is part of my family...I must believe.
    August 29 at 10:38pm · Unlike · 1 person
    Fletcher Law Thanks all. The One who is known as "Faithful and True" has the right plan and he created and loved our Spanky. I know it is often said but-"He was part of our family".
    August 29 at 11:05pm · Like

    Lisa Hulsey sorry, Fletcher, that is so hard, We had to put our cat of 20 years down a few months ago, they are like part of the family... sorry for your loss....
    August 30 at 4:16am · Unlike · 1 person

    Rebecca Healan Ruffner Fletcher, I'm so sorry. As a family of pet lovers, I know how hard it is to lose a furbaby. I know you and your family were blessed to belong to Spanky. ♥
    August 30 at 8:19am · Unlike · 1 person

    Gary Buffington Sorry,Fletcher!!!
    August 30 at 10:26am · Unlike · 1 person

    Judy Howell Crawley I feel your loss, we lost our 12 year old dog & 26 year old horse the same week in June
    August 30 at 3:08pm · Unlike · 1 person

    Kim Adams I am so sorry, Fletcher. I do not know if it is biblical, but in my heaven there are animlas. Our pets are family. Spanky was blessed to be so loved.
    August 30 at 3:17pm · Unlike · 3 people

    Mike Thompson I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Fletcher. I know how you are feeling baecause I lost my dog, Sam, in May after 14 years. Your pet is certainly a part of your family and an important part too.
    August 30 at 4:36pm · Unlike · 2 people

    Buddy Bowman Fletcher, Sorry about your loss. My ol Buck, whom I lost a little over a year ago was closer to me than many of my relatives. I have to believe that he is now waiting for me on the horizon. I can't imagine an afterlife without him. I believe you will see Spanky again because I can't imagine a GOD who doesn't love animals and I thank him constantly, for mine.
    August 30 at 7:56pm · Unlike · 4 people

    Kimily White Beck Thank you so much for thid Fletcher and I am sorry for your loss.
    August 30 at 8:15pm · Unlike · 1 person

    George Jefferson So sorry, Fletch...Our bonds with our pets is so strong and I think valuable to us. They are so uncomplicated and their love is so unconditional.
    August 30 at 9:47pm · Unlike · 2 people

    Susan Law Tarleton R.I.P Spanky....sweet dog- will be missed.
    August 30 at 10:13pm · Unlike · 1 person

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my Shih Tsu Max the day after Thanksgiving due to congestive heart failure. It was so difficult to listen to him trying to breathe, just as humans w/the same condition. He was 15 and so well behaved. After my husband died, he was my special buddy and even shared my bed. So nice to hear him snoring when he was healthy. I feel certain I will meet him and a pomeranian who died 10 yrs. ago when I cross over. My heart is so heavy now.

    ReplyDelete