Monday, December 12, 2011

Pastors Retiring or Quitting?

QUESTION RECEIVED: Is it biblical for Pastors to retire?

MY ANSWER:

That has been asked before. "Is it Biblical for pastors to retire?" The answer is simple, there are no retirements of ministers in the Bible or talk of 401K and IRA plans for gospel ministers. The great Billy Graham once said that the Apostle Paul never retired. But that statement was made before old age and infirmity wore him down. I have talked to several Methodist ministers around age sixty. They have taken early retirement. Their stated reason that no one wants an old preacher. Older Baptist preachers often go to a specialized ministry position like minister to senior citizens. Sometimes pastors leave. Sometimes they leave and do not want to.

Currently I am a preacher with a fire in my belly and a soul aching to preach. I am a bi-vocational evangelist who is not getting calls. So no, I do not understand preachers who lay it down just to do something else.

But life does not go as we plan. We have a sovereign Lord who gifts and leads us. We are to use our gifts as we follow. What matters is our we fulfilling our ministry today. Norman Geisler had a quote about how we use our time now touches eternity. Get busy friend.

Here are two passages of Scripture to push on with.

2 Timothy 4:5-6

English Standard Version (ESV)

5As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 6For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.
(The Apostle Paul was planning to go out with his boots or sandals on, and he did, for the glory of God.)


Jeremiah 20:9

English Standard Version (ESV)

9If I say, "I will not mention him,
or speak any more in his name,"
there is in my heart as it were a burning fire
shut up in my bones,
and I am weary with holding it in,
and I cannot.

If you are called to preach then preach it brother. If that avenue is shut share the gospel the best you can. I am trying to do just that myself.

In Christ Alone!

Fletcher Law


No comments:

Post a Comment