Friday, June 10, 2011

Seminary Choosing

Question received-

I'm looking into going to seminary, but I'm worried about going to a place that does not hold biblical truth/infallibility (inerrancy). I've been looking into Fuller Seminary but some people have told me that they are a liberal school that doesn't believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, but they do believe the Bible is infallible. What is the difference between infallible and inerrancy? Is Fuller good school? PS. I'm not asking for an endorsement, just an overview/history of Fuller that would help me decide whether or not to attend that seminary. Thank you!


To paraphrase R.C. Sproul "inerrancy" means our Bible, the sacred Scriptures, in the original autographs contain no errors. "Infallible" means if the Bible was to continue, it's sealed, it would never make an error. A student might have an inerrant spelling test with a grade of 100%. That student would one time be 100% perfect. If the test went to the infinity in spelling words the student could finally misspell a word. If the student could spell every word in creation correct he would then be infallible. Jesus Christ believed in an inerrant infallible Bible. Why? John 1 says He is the Word or it's very essence. Jesus talked of Biblical creation, Abraham, Noah and Moses with authority from Him and Scripture.

John 7:17 [NKJV] "17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth."


Then logic of looking at seminaries that do not accepting "inerrancy" or "infallibility", or total biblical truth, you are considering proposed makes no sense. This is often the case with people viewing or changing their view of Scripture and theology to fit in with the world and try to maintain faith. It does not work. Faith and a view of God will be taken down, man and the World's will be elevated.

Fuller might have been, or is still a good seminary. In many publications Fuller has been questioned recently on orthodox issues. In the past many fine men of God have attended. I would know for sure what a school really believes before I would spend money and time under teaching that is supposed to shape you.

On a personal note, I went to a liberal seminary that my then denomination used for an ordination requirement. In my seminary teachers and students, after enrollment, often bragged in class that they were a post Christian school of theology. Salvation and the deity of Christ were watered down, penal substitution was mocked. "Hell was real but empty" was a popular phrase uttered by more than one teacher. Social justice was trumpeted as real gospel work (without evangelism of course). I was in my mid thirties then. I felt I was above having my faith shaken. My faith was not shaken. But my faith also did not grow. Time and money were not invested to their fullest. Later I was blessed to get another degree from a seminary with a clear statement of evangelical faith. I ran to class, was challenged, grew academically and spiritually and was blessed.
Why would you even consider going to a seminary that would stunt or damage your faith?

A practical considerations, along with attending a school with an orthodox faith,
are, what am I going to do with this degree? Why do you want or need it? Also seminaries lead to jobs-and that is good. Are you wanting to be a pastor or teach? Go to a seminary that turns out men who you admire their ministry and are employed in the ministry path studied in their school. If your denomination or faith tradition has a solid seminary consider it strongly. This will help you be connected to ministry positions when you graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment